How many times have you said to yourself “I have a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear?”
It’s time to build a Capsule Wardrobe!
So, what is a Capsule Wardrobe? you may be asking…..
Capsule wardrobe is a term coined by Susie Faux, the owner of a London boutique called “Wardrobe” in the 1970s. According to Faux, a capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don’t go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces.
For me it’s having classic, versatile pieces as basics for each season to build upon.
- Start by culling your existing wardrobe – pull everything out and, as you sort what to keep, toss and donate – you will find a theme emerging with the items you keep: your style!! it will speak volumes!
If you haven’t quite nailed what your own personal style is – spend time reflecting and writing down who you are as a person and what you want to emanate in the way you dress, taking into consideration your lifestyle – you’ll be amazed at what you learn about yourself!
The pieces you need to include in your capsule: outerwear, tops, bottoms, dresses and shoes.
- Outerwear: 2 Spring / Summer Jackets and 2 Autumn / Winter Jackets, 1 winter coat. vests.
- Tops: long sleeve t shirts (great for layering), short sleeved fitted t shirts – white is a must – available from Mulboo, button through shirts – short and long sleeved.
- Bottoms: tailored trousers x 6 (2 winter 4 spring / summer), casual pants – Mulboo wide leg pants for comfort.
- Skirts: casual and tailored.
- Shoes: classic flats as well as heels will cover all occasions. black heels, nude heels, sandals, comfortable walking shoes that double for day wear with pants, skirts.
Have you noticed you favour a particular colour?
Decide the following:
Your favorite neutral colours: Do you tend to gravitate toward greys? Or maybe navy? These are the colours that should coordinate with most of the other colours in your capsule.
Your main colours: Does green bring out your eyes? Do shades of blue make you the happiest? Capsules calls these colours “the central theme of your wardrobe.”
Your accent colours: The loudest and brightest colours in your capsule they add some excitement to your wardrobe.
At the end of the season – some of your Capsule items will rollover into the next season.
Let us know about your Capsule Wardrobe in the comments below!